Friday, March 2, 2012

Decidedly Decadent: Baked Banana French Toast

Everybody reads Bakerella, right? If you don't, you MUST go visit her very soon. Her blog is one of my favorite. I am sure to like any recipe she posts.

Recently, she posted a Baked French Toast recipe that intrigued me. And when I made it, I realized that it is just plain DECADENT. My family loved it, and I gobbled it up. But, I won't be making it very often....it is just TOOOOO good.

Here is the recipe (I did make a few modifications based on the ingredients I had on hand in my kitchen and the amount of time I had before serving breakfast):

1 small loaf french bread
4 eggs
3/4 c. heavy cream (I omitted this and used 1 1/4 c. milk)
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. sugar
1 T cinnamon
1 t vanilla
1 large banana
6 T brown sugar
1 T butter
Powdered sugar
Maple syrup

Coat six 4 oz. ramekins with non-stick spray. (I used the Demarle Round Tray)
Cut french bread into 18 slices. 
Whisk together eggs, cream, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
Place sliced bread in bowl to coat.
Place three slices of bread into each dish. 
Cut banana into 12 or more slices. Coat slices with mixture and then dip coated bananas in 2 tablespoons brown sugar and stuff in between bread.
Transfer dishes to a baking sheet. 
Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight. (I skipped this step,n because I had some hungry people in my house.)
When ready to bake, mix together remaining 4 T brown sugar and 1 T butter and sprinkle over bread.
Bake at350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Enjoy warm with powdered sugar and maple syrup.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails