Thursday, March 22, 2012

Healthy Oatmeal Pancakes




In recent days, I have been feeling concerned and a little guilty about the breakfasts we eat around here. I long ago cut out poptarts and cereal to avoid processed foods. I started making homemade breakfasts such as baked oatmeal, french toast, waffles and pancakes. But now, I am concerned that we have way too much bread/flour in our meals.

I found a recipe for pancakes that are sugar and flour free on a friend's blog. I made a few adaptions and even substituted Rice Dream for the milk. So, these pancakes are sugar, flour and milk free. As a compromise with my kiddos, I put in a few semi-sweet chocolate chips. To my relief, they approved of the pancakes and gobbled them up.

Ingredients:
1 c. oatmeal flour *
1 T. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 egg
3/4 c. Rice Dream (or milk)
2 T. canola oil
1/4c. semi-sweet chocolate chips


Make oatmeal flour by grinding old fashioned or quick oats in your food processor until it is a fine powder.

* I put a handful of whole almonds in the processor with the oats and made an oat/almond flour.

Mix dry ingredient in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, mix egg, Rice Dream and oil. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until smooth.

(You may have to adjust the amount of flour or milk you use to get the batter the consistency you prefer.)

In a heated skillet, pour 1/4 c. batter. Cook until puffed and cooked around the edges then turn. Cook until golden brown.

Serve with a little maple syrup.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails