Sunday, February 26, 2012

Broccoli Cheese Soup

In these recent cooler months, I have enjoyed preparing soup for our meals. Some of my favorites have been Tortilla SoupSpicy Potato Soup and White Chicken Chili. Recently, while perusing Pinterest, I found a recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Soup. Thanks to The Little Girl's Guide to Sugar and Spice for a new favorite soup!


The first time I made this, I discovered that it did not make enough for our family. So, I made a few adjustments to make it stretch. I think it tastes just as good and feeds us each at least two full bowls of soup.


2T butter
1 small onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2c. broccoli (about 4 small heads) cut into very small pieces (you want them to fit on a spoon)
4c. chicken stock
3c. milk
1c. flour
1 1/2c. grated cheddar cheese
Salt 
White pepper


Melt butter in a pot over medium heat. Add onions plus a pinch of salt/pepper. Cook until soft. Add garlic, cook for another minute. Add broccoli, cook for a minute, then add the chicken stock and cover. Allow the broth to come to a boil, and cook until the broccoli is soft.


Whisk together flour and milk until combined. Add this mixture to the pot, stirring gently. The soup will thicken and once it's thick and creamy looking, add the grated cheddar. Salt and pepper to taste.

Thanks, again to The Little Girl's Guide to Sugar and Spice for this recipe.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Leah, this is a winner! I like it because it has real instead of processed cheese. I made it the other night. Next time I won't burn the onions!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails