Sunday, August 31, 2008

Myrtle's Cornbread Salad

At a recent family reunion, I met Myrtle. She is married to a first cousin of my husband's mother (got that?). She prepared this salad that tasted so good! I had never had this dish before and it was imperative that I have the recipe before I left the reunion. It thrilled me that Myrtle was willing to share it with me.

1 Jiffy cornbread mix
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped
bacon


Sauce:
1 c. of mayonnaise
1/3 c. sweet pickle juice

Bake cornbread mix as directed. Crumble half of it in a round casserole dish. Layer with half of the vegetables. Pour half of sauce over the layer then repeat the layers.

Best if made 12-24 hours ahead. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon before serving.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails