- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans or 1-1/2 cups cooked dry-packaged black beans rinsed, drained
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Stir in black beans, water or chicken broth,vinegar, salt , and pepper.
Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Tips for cooking black beans.